The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Ellen Forney, Sherman Alexie The title is meant to be conversational, since this is a work of fiction. (That's mentioned in the discussion points at the end.)

The book drew me right in. In gets deep by page 5, but in a really good way. That the character feels his dog is better than any human is pretty relatable. Being stared at for looking like an Indian- yeah, that hit home for me. I love the Eugene character. He reminds me of several people I know. "We should give thanks they didn't kill all of us." - Is this a more popular saying than I'm aware? Because I've heard that before. More than once. And I do mean heard, not read.

My writer heart skipped a beat at Gordy's lessons on how to read a novel. (Pages 94 to 97 in my paperback copy.)

It's written in a young teen voice, which gets tedious at times. But some of the words are offensive enough that it's obvious how this book made the banned lists.

My favorite quote from the book:
"Ever since white people showed up and brought along their Christianity and their fears of eccentricity, Indians have gradually lost all their tolerance."

My favorite part of the book is in the chapter "In Like a Lion." It talks about the power of expectations. That if your chosen social group expects you to be good, you become good. They expect more of you, so you expect more of yourself, and it works.